We are anticipating a minor flood event in the Township of Pequannock with significant rains beginning Wednesday, September 1, 2021 into Thursday, September 2, 2021.
Based upon the available forecast and its projected impact, minor flooding of some roadways is expected with the greatest impact anticipated to be during the afternoon of Thursday, September 2, 2021.
- Rainfall - 4”-6” most of it on Wednesday night, ending early Thursday afternoon
- Saturated ground, based upon the recent impact of Hurricane/Tropical Henri
Gage Heights on the Pompton River (current & projected):
- Current gage height: 9 ft.
- Current prediction: a height of approximately 17 ft. – 18 ft.
- Based upon varying rainfall, potential totals are projected to result in the following:
- 4” rain = Pompton River rises to 13 ft. – 17 ft.
- 6” rain = Pompton River rising to 18 ft. – 21 ft.
Flood-Affected Areas Based on Current Prediction:
- Harrison Road, Pequannock Avenue
- Route 23 Jug-handle near Alexander Avenue
- Back parking areas of Baymont Hotel/Stop & Shop
- Road flooding in the Madison/Roosevelt/Shady Street area
- Predicting what may happen this far in advance of the storm is a challenge based upon varying factors, e.g. amount of rainfall, speed of storm, potential changes in the track of the storm, etc.
- Please remain alert to any changing conditions - some helpful links:
- Pompton River hydrograph
- Local Weather Forecast
Updates to this advisory will be provided if/when changes to the impact of the storm become known.